Foolproof Party Makeup Even Beginners Can Master
Isabella takes us through all her tips for easy party makeup that will see you through the holiday season with ease - and that even the most makeup averse can master.
1. Start with a party-proof primer - this will ensure your makeup is there to stay, all night long. Apply this five minutes after your daily moisturiser. I recommend using your hands, rather than a brush - it means less product wastage and you can really ensure your entire face is covered.
2. Coverage time. Depending on your skin type, pick a foundation that still allows your natural glow to shine through. I like to use a damp beauty blender or my hands and begin at the centre of your face and work outwards - for most people this is where we carry the most redness. Tip: if you like to apply with your hands, make sure you warm the product in between your fingers or at the back of your hand, this will give a more seamless finish. The left over primer on your hands will also add to a perfectly blended result.
You can also set your foundation with a powder for extra coverage and longevity.
3. Next is the fun part. Whether you are a full glam gal or a low key, doesn’t-stray-from-your-regular-makeup kind of chick, a statement lip is always a surefire party look. Right now I’m loving a red stain – like the red wine kind, but without the stained teeth part (winning). Opt for a warmer tone, as this tends to suit more skin types and is the most flattering. You can always use your fave red, but just blend it out from the centre of your lips with your finger to soften.
Things I’m loving:
Tip: You can always blot it and reapply to build up the pigment for a more glam finish.
4. The eyes. Everyone gets scared over a glam eye but it doesn’t have to be scary at all. Creamy eyeshadows are a great tool for easy, foolproof party eyes. They are super easy to blend out – you honestly can’t stuff it. Whether it's a full smoke that you want to achieve or a more subtle, bronzy vibe, I highly recommend. If you have oily eyelids, you’ll need to prime (but you probably know that already).
You could try:
Feel free to use finger tips to apply or blend with a MAC 217S Blending Brush.
Mascara is super important to add va va voom to your party eye. I personally love a clumpy lash for this look.
My favourites are:
5. Time for highlights. Because what's party makeup without highlights? Not only is highlighter fun, it also serves its purpose for adding dimension to the face. Use only at the high points of your face/where the sun would naturally hit i.e. forehead, nose, cheek bones and Cupid's bow. Again I prefer a cream highlight, as the pay off is generally more natural. However, if you want a more obvious glow, opt for a powder. Or if you’re just feeling a little extra, use both.
Things I’m loving:
6. I don’t know about you, but contouring is so done. This party season is more about a beautiful sunkissed cheek flush - soft pink and orange tones are all the rage. Focus on the apples of the cheeks, then blend out. Tip: use whatever is left on your brush or finger to swipe across the bridge of your nose. This will add to the sunkissed feel and gives that ‘just been to the beach’ feel.
You could try:
7. Finally fix your makeup with a setting spray to ensure you get the best lasting power.
You've got your beauty look down, now sort all your holiday outfits in one place - shop the party edit now.
Words: Belle Iasenzaniro / Lucy Ahern